I’ve been trying to make a decent home-made oat milk for months. I use oat milk to add to tea and coffee, not for cereal or to drink directly. I’ve tried so many recipes, and every time I get a really unpleasant “sludge” in the bottom of my drink. It varies how much I got, […]read more
The Retro Challenge is a one-month long excuse to do cool stuff with old computers and blog about it (vaguely wrapped up as a competition). (This year the challenge is being hosted by Mark Sherman at http://mwsherman.com/RCR/2020/04/. I started my challenge on 1 April without knowing for sure if it would be running this month. […]read more
I collect old computers, and so my friends often find interesting things for my collection. My friend Paul recently gave me an old iPad 2 for my museum. The thing is, it didn’t feel very old. I still use an iPad 3 every day as my main tablet (it still works fabulously well, apart from […]read more
I recently wanted to record a message in the voice of a Dalek (for a silly little project I’m doing). I looked for tutorials, but they all involved ring modulator software that only worked on Windows PCs. I worked out how to do this on my Mac, and so decided to create a tutorial for […]read more
In which I spend two days working out how to reinstall Windows XP on an old Asus EeePC 1001P. This post is so you don’t have to go through the same pain!read more
I needed to wire up the two floppy ports in the case to the Gotek USB floppy emulator.
One would be a standard socket, but the other was for use with the Amstrad CPC 464. This had two issues…read more
Throughout March I tinkered with some Video Genie computers as part of the Retro Challenge.
The idea was I would learn to use a couple of new diagnostic tools for digital hardware, and then use them to fix some of my old computers.
Here’s a summary of what I did.read more
I’ve now got replacement drive belts for the cassette decks in my Video Genie computers. Here I fit them and try to diagnose further cassette problems.read more
In my last post I tried (and failed) to fix the 9v voltage regulator circuit for the cassette interface on one of my Video Genies.
Today I had another go. (Spoiler) I fixed it!read more
For the next repair, I return to the Video Genie I worked on last time. I had fixed the CPU board, but still had problems with the power supply on the cassette interface board.
Here I have a go at diagnosing and fixing it. Sadly it’s still a work in progress!read more