For the next repair, I return to the Video Genie I worked on last time. I had fixed the CPU board, but still had problems with the power supply on the cassette interface board.
Here I have a go at diagnosing and fixing it. Sadly it’s still a work in progress!
Today I tackled the second broken Video Genie (TRS-80 clone).
This one has an interesting home-made mod on it too, which I investigate.The main repair was quick and easy, but it still has a minor fault that I need to investigate.
A much more productive day on the Retro Challenge.
I managed to fix one of my two broken Video Genie computers. The Video Genie (aka System 80) is a TRS-80 clone which I grew up with.
Quite a few interesting diagnostic steps in this repair! Watch this 32 minute video for the full story.
So March is already turning out to be busier than I expected!I have a lot of work on at the moment, so the original plan was to just spend each weekend on the Retro Challenge.
But life gets in the way, and by 6pm on Sunday I haven’t yet started!
Still, let’s try to get something achieved anyway.
The Retro Challenge is a one-month long excuse to do cool stuff with old computers and blog about it (vaguely wrapped up as a competition).
In 2017 I created the RetroMatic 2000 as my entry.
In 2018 I tried to restore two Osborne 1 portable computers. One restoration was completely successful, but with the other I couldn’t narrow down the problem in the disk controller as I lacked sufficient test equipment.
This March I’ll be doing a light-weight entry to the Retro Challenge as I don’t have too much time available.
I’ve done some recent repairs and improvements…
I decided a quick video would explain these all best.
So April comes to a close, and with it the April 2018 Retro Challenge.
I’ve spent the month of so buried in these Osborne 1 computers, and have achieved a great deal in restoring them to their former glory.
All the details are in the last 17 blog posts, but I’ve also made a 36 min video summarising everything I did (along with a slightly closer look at the computers and some demos).
Yesterday I figured out a workflow for getting CPM software onto disk images that I could run on my Osborne computer.
Now to the final part of my personal ‘retro challenge’. Which was:
“Conclude by playing a classic CPM game on my portable computer! Preferably Colossal Cave Adventure or The Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy :-)”
Now my Osborne 1 is working well, it’s time to transfer some software onto it.
I have a handful of disks that came with it (just business software), but there is a whole wealth of CPM software out there, if only I can get it onto the machine in a format it can read.
Today’s task is to find a workflow that enables me to download CPM software from the internet, and easily load it onto the Osborne.
In my previous posts I’d proved a Gotek/FlashFloppy USB floppy drive emulator would work with my Osborne 1. I’d also found a way to install it in a floppy disk storage pocket on the machine.
I then had to wait for more components to arrive, to finish it off in a neat package.